Australasian designs do not need to be constrained by the range of AS/NZS standard sections. There is a wide range of hot rolled Jumbo sections manufactured to International standards offering substantial benefits in terms of size and strength.
AS/NZS 3679 hot rolled column sections are manufactured up to 310UC 158, a 327mm x 311mm column weighing 158 kg/m and a maximum flange thickness of 25mm.
- HL extra wide flanged beams
- HE wide flanged beams
- UB Universal Beams
- W wide flange beam
Jumbo Equal Angles
Traditionally equal angles have been manufactured up to 200 x 200mm. Due to increasing demand for more efficient towers for windmills and pylons for power transmission, ArcelorMittal has developed L300 x 300 and L250 x 250 equal angles in thicknesses up to 35mm.
They are unique with no peer, there use enables stronger lighter more efficient structures.
- New Equal Leg Angles
ArcelorMittal manufacture quality hot rolled beam sections up to 1100mm deep within their European, British, and American section ranges.
For reference the following sections are manufactured:
- HL 1100R 499, a 1118mm x 405mm beam with primary axis section modulus of 23150 (10)3 mm3 and a maximum flange thickness of 45mm, this is equivalent to American section W 1100 x 400 x 499.
- HE 1000 x 584, a 1056mm x 314mm beam with primary axis section modulus of 23600 (10)3 mm3 and maximum flange thickness of 64mm, this is equivalent to British section UB1016 x 305 x 584
These jumbo columns can be manufactured in HISTAR with 450MPa yield strength throughout, this provides an unfactored section capacity more than 3 times greater than the above 500WC.
- HD wide flanged column specifications
- W wide flange beam specifications
Jumbo Hot Rolled Beams
AS/NZS 3679 hot rolled beam sections are manufactured up to 610UB 125, a 612mm x 229mm beam with primary axis section modulus of 3230 (10)3 mm3 and maximum flange thickness of 19.6mm
European wide flange columns HD sections provide sizes up to HD400 x 1086, a 569 x 454 column weighing 1086 kg/m and a flange thickness of 125mm, this is equivalent to American section W 360 x 410 x 1086.
Standard welded columns, which incorporate welding and fabrication and have steel grade limitations, allow larger sections up to 500WC 220, a 480mm x 500mm column weighing 440 kg/m and a maximum flange thickness of 40mm.